This arbitrary figure between 1 and 10 is also the number of six-sided dice the character should roll, when attempting whatever it is.
Anyone acting against them, applies the same principle.
If a character is trying to use such a skill against a natural obstacle or challenge, then this is also the number of six-sided dice the World rolls against the character.
And that’s it – that’s the entire algorithm on which the game is based
– a number of dice is rolled to reflect what’s being attempted versus how hard it is. And how hard it is rolls against.
This can be applied to any conceivable ability and/or problem.
– Application requires only common sense.
- Note that a roll of all 1s can be considered a Fumble, a fuck-up; and some extra penalty may be imposed on top of failure.
- Similarly, a roll of all 6s, can be considered a Fluke, a lucky shot; and may earn some extra bonus to success.
- A character is trying to shove open a door which is jammed. They possess above average strength: – they can roll 4 dice.
- The door, however, is quite badly stuck and presents an obstacle of high difficulty: – the door will roll 5 dice.
- They both roll. The character rolls a 12, the door rolls a 10.
- They are just able to slowly push the door open.
- An alternative outcome: – the door rolls 18 and they only roll 8. The door doesn’t budge at all.
- They may, of course, try again, but it may be ruled that a third attempt requires a short rest first, or will be attempted at -1 die due to becoming fatigued.
- Character B approaches Character A and decides to try and punch them in the head. Character A, seeing this, attempts to duck the punch.
- Chracater B has a High level of ability with the SKILL Strike/Block they roll 5 dice. Character A, has a Very High level of ability with the SKILL Evade – they roll 6 dice,
- Person A rolls higher (22 to 9) and so ducks the punch easily.
- A character throws a fist-sized rock, hoping to hit the trunk of a tree. Their ability THROW is Above Average , they may roll 4 dice.
- The tree, however, is 20 metres away (60′) and only waist width at its widest; and so it is agreed that this presents a High degree of difficulty.
- In addition it has begun to rain heavily. Making the challenge Very Highly difficult. The tree will roll 6 dice.
- Also – whatever they are trying to THROW, can potentially increase either the difficulty or their ability dice. A too-heavy rock versus a javelin, for example.
[Most RPGs use Fixed Probability. eg: roll d20 and beat 14 – which is not how the universe works. Chaos matches typical performance against a World where tiny changes in initial conditions can radically alter outcome ]